DSTEEL is a software used to automate the connection design work in steel structures as per the Indian code and other international codes.
Indian codes :
IS-800 – 2007 and other related codes.
BRITISH codes :
BS – 5950
EURO CODES :
BS EN 1993-1-8: 2005: Euro code 3. Design of steel structures. Design of joints and other related codes
AMERICAN CODES :
ANSI-AISC-360-10(Specification for structural buildings)
DSTEEL is a software for design of connections in the structural steel works. With the involvement of the engineer, the software helps in getting an economical and practical design. This software covers all industry requirements.
It is based on codes. Various provisions of codes are available for reference as the context-sensitive help and reference clauses are mentioned in the reports. The project specifications can also be used to control the design requirements.
This software does the automation of all the manual work involved in the design process. The results from repeat trials by varying the parameters can be compared. Tailor-made solutions can be supplied for a specific project.
It is user-friendly and the non-fulfillment of the code requirements or mismatches are immediately reflected in RED and the area which needs a revision of input is highlighted.
The change and Revisions are a part of the life of every project. In Steel Construction, this being not an exception amounts to revisions in connection details. The design of connections between various elements of a structure is Complex at times. DSTEEL is developed with the aim of providing an easy and a generalized method of designing connections as per the standard codes and specifications.
While designing a particular connection, a 3-dimensional view is created which can be rotated and the actual scene can be visualized. The input is provided under various categories, which immediately reflects in the 3D and the corresponding 2D views to reflect the changes.
A good knowledge of structural design helps to use the software effectively. However, a less familiar user can also use and understand from the various messages and warnings displayed by the software.
The software is completely parametric. This helps to accommodate the revisions and see the results instantaneously.
- The analysis and design of the structure is supposed to be ready and frozen
- The connections may be designed as per the requirement of the project :
- For the capacity of the member,
- For the given loads as per the analysis,
- For a certain percentage of the capacity of the member
- Connections are designed as per Indian and International codes.
- All required code requirements are checked and are reported.
- It includes an extensive library of various types of connections under each category like shear connections, moment connections, splices, bracing connections, base plates, welding for fabricated sections etc. and also all bolted, all welded and the combination of bolted and welded; giving the user a large choice for selection.
- Any specific requirements can be added as per requirements of the project.
A Connection in steel structure includes fin plates, end plates, gusset plates, stiffener plates, base plates, back up plates, packing plates, cleats (angles or channels), bolts ( including nuts & washers), anchor bolts, sleeves, welds etc. After the design of the connection is finalized, these quantities can be calculated. This helps to get the total quantity required for connections for the entire structure. Knowing the size and length s of welds, the quantities of weld consumables can be calculated.
This helps in quantity reconciliation and gives suitable guidelines for future projects.
- Due to revisions in designs for whatever reasons, the loading data and member profiles may change resulting in revisions in the connection design. This can be easily accommodated with the help of this software.
- The software also provides the 2D and 3D views of the selected connection which helps the user further to visualize advance details of that connection.
- The various views are Dynamically linked. This means, any particular input provided reflects immediately in the alongside sketch giving the user a clear concept of what is being done, how the connection will actually look if any clearance problems or crashing problems are occurring etc.
- The material requirements of bolts, plates, welds etc. can be obtained along with the connection design details. Also, the capacity of the connection is reflected.
- The software produces a complete report of calculations with the 2D and 3D sketches.
- For a particular project, the complete documentation of all connection reports with the index and required nos. and quantities can be obtained as a final output.
- A tabular form can be produced for similar types of connections with various parameter values tabulated along with necessary sketches. An A3 size drawing can be produced with the required additional details like the nameplates, notes, revision marks etc.
- Pre Engineered Building (PEB)
- Fired Heaters Projects
- Transmission Tower
- Pipe Racks
- Technological Structures
- Crane Girders
- Equipment supporting Structures
- Space Structures
- Power Plants
This application provides optimum plate cutting layout w.r.t. plate available in the market. The cutting plate can be imported in terms of excel or CIS2 stp files.
- Excel sheet (having details of the main plate and cut plate).
- CIS2 files (having extension .stp).
- Graphical View (actual representation of plates in 2D).
- PDF Report (contains details of consumed and remaining plates).
This application reads file with extension .stp i.e. CIS2 file and classifies its contents into tabular view.
- Export to excel
- Report generation as per the requirement.
- This can generate reports like PART LIST, ASSEMBLY LIST, BOLT LIST, MATERIAL LIST etc.
The connections in Steel structures form a very important part in the design and construction work. In real life, several modifications, revisions, and changes take place due to revisions in loading, geometry, unavailability of certain profiles etc. This calls for quick revisions in connections as well. Doing the same things again manually certainly consumes a lot of time.